Monday, December 5, 2011

A REAL rant...

What ever happened to good ole fashion TV? I miss the days where we had shows with real characters and real story lines.  Now we just have "Real housewives" a show that follows rich woman, half of them not even traditional housewives in the sense or even married, running around spending money and fighting with each other. We have "Millionaire match maker" where men or woman with money are set up with men and woman who don't have any... yea that's a real match made in heaven. Don't even get me started on Jersey Shore or Real World... They even have 20 different talent shows like American Idol, X Factor, Americas got talent... yet none of them have any, talent that is... so what next?

My question is why do people keep watching this stuff? Granted I'm a bit jaded because Ive worked in the industry but at the same time I have literally tried time and time again to watch this crap and just cant get into it. What do people see in this stuff? Celebrity Rehab is a perfect example... to me that show is a joke, following around former celebs who have addiction issues exploiting them to the masses. They try and make the show look like its a positive effort to help its "patients" but you cant pull the wool over my eyes. I know its just for ratings and exploitative. Half the people on the show end up relapsing and coming on for another season, yea real helpful.

I just don't understand why we as a society need this stuff on the tube. I don't understand why we have to feed into it and make these people "Reality TV stars". Especially in this economy where there are so many talented people who are jobless and broke it makes my blood boil knowing people like "The Situation" and "Snooki" are raking in millions of dollars... and for what? Because ones a drunken fool and the others a dumb whore? If that's the case sign me up, if that was the new barometer for success I'd get rid of my degree, and boat loads of debt, trade in years of work experience for a shot glass and a fourty ounce and collect my checks.

One Reality "star" I worked with and actually befriended told me how he had never held a real job in his life. He lucked out by booking a casting for a show and now makes over 100 grand a year, and that's when hes not even on a show taping and just making bar and club appearances. He shows up to a place for an hour, signs some autographs, takes a few pictures, gets tons of free food and booze and leaves to another place to do the same, he'll do that 2 or 3 times a night and get paid $3-5 grand each visit. He'll make more in one night than some make in almost half a year. Tell me there isn't something wrong with that picture. Yet I have a degree and this guy barley graduated high school. 

I don't think realty TV stars should be paid as much or even more so than Doctors, that's the point I'm trying to make. You can make the same argument about athletes and how ridiculously overpaid they are but at least in their case I can say they have a real world class talent. I just ponder when we will wake up and realize what crap we have been force fed to watch and end this proverbial Reality TV psychosis we are in. I cant picture a world 5 to 10 years down the road where Toddlers and Tiaras is still on the air. As I said in previous posts I am hoping that eventually there will be this Renaissance of sitcoms and scripted shows and the Reality TV genre will decrease. I supposed for the moment we have to deal with this infection that is Reality TV and hope its not a virus that keeps on spreading with more and more of it coming on the tubes everyday as it is now, and has been for quite some time.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have actually enjoyed or found a Reality show that I enjoyed watching for its content value at all. Except for ones that might of had a hott chick I was attracted to on them. Even all of the shows Ive worked on I have never watched, well other than the credits just to see my name scroll by. Other than sports I really don't watch TV at all and Reality is the main reason why. In doing this blog I have come to realize that though my opinions are strong I may be in the minority for my hatred of Reality TV . In doing research there are more positively charged Reality TV blogs and articles than bad ones, More shows pop up  weekly, and more Reality stars are gaining celebrity recognition by the day.

Even over in Europe, Reality TV is just as popular as it is here, maybe even more. I actually found a British Reality TV blog with the same name as my own and all it does is talk about British reality TV. No real opinions or insider information like I offer, but more so recaps of the different shows and happenings of its stars. What I have realized is as jaded as I am about my opinions of Reality TV it is definitely not going anywhere for a while, and I must live with that fact. The good thing is I have an outlet where I can vent my Television frustrations in hopes that one day Reality TV will be nothing but a stage our society has gone through and my blog will have to be no more. Until then I will continue to scrutinize, look back, hate, bitch and moan about Reality TV and all its stars that come with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment